Saturday, January 9, 2010

The facebook phenomenon: Bra Color Status


I had received the invitation to change my status to my bra color 3 times before I actually did it, but the real reasons I caved were:

1. One friends status was: "LADIES... NO ONE CARES WHAT COLOR YOUR BRA IS!!! This information shows NOTHING about your support of cancer research... pay money to American Cancer Society if you want to support breast cancer research!"

This particular status update sparked 33!! comments ranging from outrage to sarcastic to humorous. My personal choice of response was, "hey, you aren't supposed to tell the boys"
This friends status actually pissed me off, mostly because I hate when people over react that like. Whats it to her if everyone's status is a color? Its not actually hurting anything. In fact, it might actually spark people's minds on the topic of breast cancer research! It actually did to me. When I am no longer a college student, and am in a position to donate funds to charitable causes, I plan to. Nothing and no one is hurting from seeing black, red, pink or white as someone's status. This is the first reason I changed my own to "red".

2. The more shallow reason: Everyone was doing it! On my home page there were tons of girl facebook friends updating with colors. I thought, what harm could it do? If enough girls decide to do it, the chances are at least a few people who had not even had a thought about breast cancer, would think about it! Maybe even donate if they could.

So I did. Did you?

Some people took a different outlook than I did about the color status phenomenon:

link:
http://www.sphere.com/article/bloggers-debate-usefulness-of-facebook-bra-status-update/19309689?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2Farticle%2Fbloggers-debate-usefulness-of-facebook-bra-status-update%2F19309689

No comments:

Post a Comment