Saturday, March 10, 2012

Why I Am Ridiculous

I've always loved personality tests both for myself and my friends. There is nothing more thrilling to me than a test being able to pinpoint exactly who I am, what I believe and what animal I am most like. I love saying "I am SUCH a _____" and happily encourage friends to find out what they are, too. What I love most is how unique I am and strangely, I love my flaws.

One personality test I took tonight told me that I don't really think of my flaws as problem areas, but instead as quirks that make me who I am. I am more likely to think I am flawed if people don't accept me. That second part isn't a very good thing, but I found the first part interesting. Based on my personality tests, I really do enjoy reading about my flaws. I'm not embarrassed about who I am. What I AM embarrassed about is how messy my room is, how oily my hair is and how infrequently I hit up the gym. But these things aren't really what is in my core (I hope)... So here is my positive spin on flaws:

As the test likes to phrase it, "Kelsey's possible weaknesses":

-May do what is pleasant rather than what is necessary. Now, don't get me wrong, I could work on this. This is probably why I am fat, greasy and have a messy room. It just isn't pleasant to work out or clean it. However, I do think I am good at finding the pleasant things in life and immersing myself in them. I don't think I'm cranky too often (except those 5 days out of the month...) and maybe its because I do things that are pleasant rather than necessary.

-May exaggerate the significance of the event.  Anyone who has ever been around me when I felt made fun of, or betrayed, or even like someone I love wasn't listening to me, knows that I might be a bit dramatic and might tend to exaggerate. Pretty much everything anyone says or does has significance to me, and I have somewhat of an overdramatic personality. BUT I hope anyone nodding their head right now can also appreciate how much I remember about your lives, and how I exaggerate the significance of events like your birthday, bridal shower or trip in to town. I like to think I make people feel special. If I don't make you feel that way, just know I intend to. I remember your birthdays, and I will throw you a party for pretty much any reason. I'm dramatic and (sometimes) you love it!

-She may become possessive of people in whom she has invested a lot of her emotional energy. #LOL, right? This is the truest of truths. But I hope you don't have to think too hard to see the positive side of this one. I LOVE YOU. I am totally, completely, 100% willing to invest my emotional energy in you. I will do anything you need me to, and be happy to do it. The only downside is that I expect you to stick around. Bummer, I know.

I hope I don't come across as "tooting my own horn", as my mother would say. I decided I need to be more positive, and I can also appreciate that as I work to see the positive in these personality flaws, they become blessings instead of burdens.


No comments:

Post a Comment