Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Smells Like Team Spirit




I have had the privelege of going to several Utah Jazz games in the past couple of months. I love seeing the game live- even if it is from the nosebleeds. The main reason is the rowdy fans. Even in Utah, fans are often obnoxious drunks who yell out things pertaining to the game that they don't fully understand.


Personally, I am a Celtics fan. Huge fan. Born and raised. No, I am not from Boston. So, what do I say when people ask me why I love them so much? And, NO, I am not a bandwagon follower after they won the championship. I had been wearing kelly green long before Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen graced us with their skills. It is pretty hard to explain why I feel a strong loyalty to the Celtics, but I do know that I love it. It makes it so much more fun when you have a team to cheer for, when you feel like you know the players personally because you watch them so much. One of the closest moments with my family was during the 2008 playoffs, resulting in the 17th NBA Championship for the Boston Celtics!



That is the major trump card that Celtics fans always, always love to use. Especially against the Jazz, whom the Celtics have lost to in Utah almost every time. Yes, I was at those games, and yes, my mother does trash talk and says to Jazz fans "Who has 17 championship banners and who has NONE?" (the Jazz, obviously). So, this isn't just a season to season loyalty. We are loyal to the franchise. We have to be. My family owns so many green things that we would have to buy all new decorations for our homes and all new wardrobes if we decided we didn't like the Celts anymore.

So, its a weird thing, team spirit. Its also a weird thing how when the Jazz beat my team I suddenly want them to lose every game to every opponent (except the LAKERS!!) every time. I'll be talking trash until we get an 18th ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment